Pages

Friday 1 April 2011

On Writing...

Reading through 20 Master Plots (and How to Build Them), by Ronald B. Tobias, trying to gain strength in tackling the concept of writing myself.  I am only through the introduction, but have learned a few things already.  Here are some of my favourite quotes from the book:

On describing method of writing, page 32: ‘But then Anthony Burgess, the author of A Clockwork Orange, probably said it best when he described his method: “I start at the beginning, go on to the end, and then stop.”

This reminds me of the scene in ‘Better Off Dead’ with John Cusak (great 80’s movie!) while contemplating skiing the K-2... “Go that way, really fast.  If something gets in your way, Turn!”  What great advice!

Page 32: ‘But remember what Somerset Maugham said the next time you come across something some great writer said: “There are three rules for writing a novel.  Unfortunately no one knows what they are.”

We all need to find what works for us.  I saw that one author doesn’t like to start a novel unless they know how it ends...and starts with that.  I think that I can understand this.  It might be something I will try, as endings for me are VERY important.  I cannot tell you how many books have been ruined by the ending.  Annalisa on goodreads.com said this about one book I was looking at: “What I don't like about chick lit (and movies) is that moment near the end where it gets awkward and embarrassing and then it gets cheesy and embarrassing. And I'm left gagging and my whole enjoyment of the tension the first half is ruined.

How many times have I felt that?!  Too many!  Maybe one of my stories, I will try this method.  I have so many story ideas, that I could definitely try this out, and see if it works...write the ending the way I want it to be, and then build the story up to that.

That’s all I have learned up to this point..will write more when I see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment